Reel Recipes: Wisconsin Surf & Turf
Here in Wisconsin the Deer Hunting Season and the Walleye Run can sometimes cross paths providing a very unique opportunity to cook up some easy yet delicious meals with your freshly caught/harvested meats.
Dubbed the Wisconsin Surf & Turf, this is a hearty meal that encompasses both Venison and Walleye Fillets, both fried up in true Wisconsin fashion! This recipe provides an easy and great base for any cook, and is easily modified and arguably improved!
We cooked this meal at the store using a FireDisc Portable Grill, which made frying food a dream! Fueled by Propane, the FireDisc acts almost like a big portable Wok, allowing you to cook almost any kind of food, anywhere you go! Follow along with the recipe or modify it to your liking and enjoy this fantastic Midwestern treat! You wont regret it!
10 Walleye Fillets
4 Chunked Venison Backstraps
Bear Crossing Foods Original Recipe Breading Mix
1 Sleeve Ritz Crackers
1 Sleeve Saltine Crackers
2 Tbsp Garlic Onion Powder
1 Tsp Oregano
1 Tsp Paprika
3 Tsp Salt
1 Tbsp Pepper
1 1/2 Cup Flour
- Add both Ritz and Saltine Crackers into a Ziploc bag. Seal with little to no air inside and roll with rolling pin until finely crumbled.
- Add Flour & Spices to bag and mix thoroughly.
- Using two separate pans, dip walleye fillet in flour, then coat in egg wash and drop in cracker breading mix. Let Stick.
- Drop coated fillets in pan or FireDisc and fry using vegetable oil and cook about 2 minutes each side or until fish is flaked and breading is a dark golden brown.
- Slice back straps to desired size or butterfly the meat.
- Lightly salt the fillets.
- Dip venison in flour, then egg wash and drop in the Bear Crossings bread crumbs and flip until crumbs stick.
- Fry in pan or FireDisc until done to your liking.
Best served with sides, I know I prefer Coleslaw, Corn, and Potatoes but if you're feeling adventurous...anything can be a side! Enjoy!
If you have any recipes, suggestions for blog topics, or any other inquiries please do not hesitate to reach out using our "Contact" tab!